In Case You Were Interested. . . .
If you’re going to love me, there are a few things you should know.
1. I expect you to love me with all of your being. Yes, all of it. You know why? Because if I love you, I will love you with all of mine, so I only think it’s fair you do the same. If you can’t love someone with all of your being, then what’s the point?
2. Some days I won’t be easy to love. I know some days you won’t be easy to love either, but on these days, I expect each of us to look at the other, and remember the reason we began loving each other in the first place. Then we need to make a conscious effort to make each other laugh, because I know one of the reasons we will have begun loving each other is because we can always make each other laugh.
3. Because you have a child (or if you have a child), I don’t always expect to come first, but I better be a damn close second. You might not need me to be a mother to your child, and I know I don’t need you to be a father to mine, but being in a relationship with someone who already has children can be tough sometimes, but we still need to remember we are in a relationship. I believe happy parents raise happy children, and well, just see #1, because if that’s what’s going on, everything will be okay.
4. I don’t have to spend every waking moment, or every day with you. However, I do expect to have daily contact with you. Daily contact to me means speaking on the phone for at least a few minutes, if we cannot see each other, and we are not living together. Texting doesn’t count. Texting is lazy.
5. I expect you to help me through tough times. This doesn’t mean I think you need to pay my bills. I need you to be there for me when I’m having a rough day, just like I will be there for you.
6. I expect you to help me with projects. No, I am not just trying to use you to do “man stuff” around my house. I expect it, but it is very hard for me to ask for help. I am stubborn, I am prideful, I am hard-headed, and I don’t like to be beholden to anyone. I would imagine you are the same, because if you’re not, we probably wouldn’t have ever gotten together in the first place. So please, volunteer to help me with stuff. You helping me is sexy, and will get you tons of sex!
7. I don’t have to have expensive gifts, but every once in awhile it would be nice to get thoughtful gifts. I try to give the people I love thoughtful gifts, something that speaks to the type of person they are, and the things they like. I like to receive thoughtful gifts, because it makes me feel like you’re paying attention, and that you really know me.
8. I just realized this list could go on for awhile. It’s not that I am telling you how to love me, I am just letting you know some of the ways I would like to be loved. Do I like hear someone telling me they love me? Of course. Do I need to hear it 50 times a day? No. Do I need to be shown, through actions, that I am loved? Yes, I do. Love is a verb.